The Community Heritage Access Centre (CHAC) is working in partnership with Yeovil Library on Saturday 8th December 2018 as part of the “Christmas Workhouse Theme.”
CHAC will be present from 11am until 3pm with story telling from 2.15pm.
Please see the attached poster for more details.
Workhouse Poster 11
CHAC is contributing at least one object that may have seen use in Yeovil Workhouse and here is a close-up – find out more on Saturday!
We also have an image of the “Matron of Yeovil Workhouse” Caroline Mary Wilton (nee Craske), matron of the workhouse, c1880-1885.
Our Christmas image from our 2019 Yeovil Calendar shows Father Christmas at the Plummer Roddis Department Store in the mid 1950s.
Copies of the 2019 Yeovil Calendar are available at £6.00 each – which helps with our work at the Community Heritage Access Centre, caring for 30,000 objects and 6,000 photographs.
Further details are available from 01935 462855 – or visit Cartgate Tourist Information Centre; Yeovil Tourist Information Centre, Petters Way; South Somerset District Council Brympton Way Reception or the Emporium, Princes Street, Yeovil.
Somerset & Dorset Family History Society, Peter Street, Yeovil is another location.
Thank you to everyone that is supporting the Community Heritage Access Centre through the 2019 Yeovil Calendar. Our July 2019 Image will be familiar to many with the view of Princes Street in 1954, celebrating 100 years of Yeovil as a Municipal Borough.
01935 462855 for more information on the Calendar – or see Yeovil Tourist Information Centre; The Emporium, Princes Street and Somerset and Dorset Family History Centre, Peter Street, Yeovil.
The 2019 Celebrating Yeovil Calendar is now available at £6.00 each – with a new theme of uniting each photograph with an associated object from the CHAC Collection.
For more details – call (01935) 462886 or email
We have recently helped Eastville Project Space with a Punk Fanzine inspired ‘pop-up’ exhibition in a shop in the Quedam Shopping Centre.
We helped by scanning original documents from the CHAC Collection to produce copies for display – including a poster for when The Cure visited Yeovil.
The main reason for visiting CHAC was the link to graphic artist, Stephen Willmott, or ‘Wilf’ as CHAC holds many of Stephen’s original letters and artworks. He often comments on the local music scene and together with fellow artists, created the artwork for local bands’ single and album covers and promotional material.
The pop up punk display is on for September 2018 on selected days.
Please contact: email@example.com for more details of opening times or if you are passing by near H&M Yeovil – have a look!
Christened “The Mob Table” from the CHAC Collection due to local band “The MOB” being inscribed on the top, along with “The Cure” and “The Fall.”
For our recent visit from Frome Society for Local History, we created some new displays in our Welcome Room display cabinet, which was funded by the Small Grant Big Improvement Scheme (South West Museum Development Programme and Arts Council England).
One of the shelves focused on former glove manufacturer, C. Young & Co Ltd of Seaton Road, Yeovil. We understand one of ‘Young’s’ well-known products were driving gloves – hence we created the display with Graham Hill and Jim Clark – giving their gloves the ‘thumbs up!’ alongside designs for ladies driving gloves (Valerie Wilson Trower Collection); a pair of driving gloves from the CHAC Collection and a model of Graham Hill’s ‘Shadow-Ford’ Formula One racing car from a staff member’s collection.
Staff enjoyed creating the display for a specific visit and aim to change the objects on a monthly basis.
A poignant interpretation of our BLOG title is the bottom shelf – which now has a reference to the men that left Kelways Nursery at Langport for the First World War.
On Thursday 23rd August 2018, we hosted 40 members of the Frome Society for Local Study, helped by our volunteer team.
One of our Frome connections was highlighted in one of our earliest photographs, with the following information on the back.
L & S.W Railway Locomotive ‘Frome’ c1860
“One of the first passenger engines employed at the Yeovil Town Station. Original photograph taken c1860-1.
On the foot plate are the driver, John Knight, who later became the licensee of the Half Moon Hotel.
Matthew Woods (centre figure) the loco foreman and William Greenaway, Fireman. William Dyer (not in the Picture) was the cleaner. He eventually became a driver and died in Yeovil in 1922.
This photograph is a rarity as the Driver had used the company’s coal, oil and engine on a Sunday in order for the photograph to be taken. When found out, he was taken up to Nine Elm’s Shed and severely reprimanded. He was then told to hand over all photographs and copies to be destroyed. This one, however, escaped, as did the original negative!”