We have enjoyed a busy and exciting week at South Somerset District Council’s Community Heritage Access Centre, (CHAC) near Yeovil.
We started last week at St James’ Church Christmas Fair, with our 2018 Yeovil Calendar. The Fair was well organised with a ‘Calendar’ place setting already waiting for us and very helpful church members. There was a good mix of stalls and refreshments on hand for visitors. This welcoming atmosphere helped us to achieve a good result with the calendars and explain about CHAC’s role in the community.
We were particularly thankful to meet several new Yeovil residents and share some photographs of the town in the 1960s.
Our next event will be “Stick, Stamp and Print!” at Yeovil Library on Saturday 9th December 2017 from 10.30am – 12.00pm.
We unable to attend in person, but will be creating a display board illustrating aspects of Yeovil’s newspaper and print industry heritage, including Snell’s Printers and The Western Gazette.
We also thought people would like to see this image of the Western Gazette composing room in the early 1960s….
And the Percy Winsor Display of Massey Ferguson tractors and combine harvester at the 1958 Yeovil Show, which is featured in the 2018 Yeovil Calendar. (c) (Commercial Camera Craft)
Image (c) South Somerset District Council Heritage Team (01935) 462886 – Please do not reproduce without permission.
For our BLOG this week, from South Somerset District Council’s Community Heritage Access Centre, we feature a photograph from the 2018 Yeovil Calendar – this has caused some interest as quite a bit has changed!
Can any one guess the name of the road in Yeovil from the early to mid 1970s? There are a few visual clues!
As always, please let us know any memories evoked by the photograph.
The 2018 Yeovil Calendar is now available at £6.00 each from Yeovil Tourist Information Centre, SSDC Brympton Way Reception and The Emporium, Princes Street, Yeovil
and the Community Heritage Access Centre!
South Somerset District Council’s Community Heritage Access Centre (CHAC) near Yeovil recently provided a tour for ten members of the Friends of St. Mary’s Church, Mudford.
This was a new group to visit with an interest in local history and artefacts. Staff provided an insight into the type of objects and documents in the collection and how we look after them. The collecting policy and accurate documentation were also explained, which were two of the key aspects of fulfilling and maintaining the Accreditation Standard.
One of the fun elements staff created came in the introduction to the collections and specifically on Mudford. Three Kelly’s Somerset A-Z Directories dating from 1910; 1923 and 1939 just happened to be open at the pages for Mudford! This was a very simple idea, but reflected how Mudford had changed over a 29 year period; particularly the type of traders in the village; the population and specific details of St. Mary’s Church itself.
Staff also showed a ‘book end’ type of two photographs related to Mudford’s history. The first was an image of St. Mary’s Church taken by Henry Stiby around 1890, which the group had not seen before and which led to some debate as to exactly where Henry Stiby was standing when he took the photograph. The second image was a colour photograph of “GT Motorcycles Yeovil” in 2001 not far from the Half Moon Inn courtesy of the Peall & Co Estate Agent Collection. This was another simple idea but was a great start to the tour and served as a useful ‘icebreaker.’
The tour of the stores once again highlighted parts of the collections we are less familiar with and where we need to increase our knowledge; blue and white tea cups and saucers being one example!
The image of St.Mary’s Church, Mudford, taken by Henry Stiby around 1890 © South Somerset District Council, Community Heritage Access Centre. Not to be reproduced without permission.
A painting of an M7 Class Locomotive by H Ball; painted in 1971 and believed to be passing by Stoford.
Half Term Fun at your Heritage Centre!
Queen Victoria’s Hat!
Enjoy a guided Victorian-themed trail around the Community Heritage Access Centre (CHAC)
Wednesday 25th October 2017
Places limited to 8-10 per session
£2.50 per group attending
(up to 2 adults and 3 children)
Please Contact us to
Confirm your Place:
Community Heritage Access Centre, Artillery Road, Yeovil, BA22 8RP
We wished to highlight an important event happening at Yeovil Library on Saturday 14th October 2017. South Somerset District Council, Community Heritage Access Centre staff are due to attend!
This is a unique opportunity to see some of the 3,335 silver coins from the Yeovil Roman Coin Hoard.
Hopefully the document below can opened!
We have enjoyed a busy week so far at South Somerset District Council’s Community Heritage Access Centre, (CHAC) near Yeovil.
One of the highlights was helping Crewkerne and District Museum with an exhibition on local travellers with a mention of Thomas Coryate, known as “The Odcombe Leg Stretcher.” We loaned a black umbrella; a purple parasol; a ladies pair of formal heeled shoes with a press stud material ankle piece and a button hook.
We received feedback that this really helped to complete the exhibition and therefore was useful for Crewkerne Museum and CHAC.
We also aim to be at the Super Saturday event in Yeovil Town Centre tomorrow with the Yeovil Calendar – so we look forward to meeting people there!
There is also a First World War and Willow event at Coates Willow near Stoke St Gregory tomorrow – Saturday 23rd September 2017.
We have enjoyed an exciting week at South Somerset District Council’s Community Heritage Access Centre, (CHAC) near Yeovil.
One of the highlights was a visit from an enquirer interested in having some glass items identified. These fragments of bottle and window glass were unearthed in their garden in Preston Plucknett. Staff suggested bringing these in to be photographed. The photographs could then be emailed to the Somerset Finds Liaison Officer (FLO) near Taunton, so they can provide an initial assessment. Sending ‘preparatory images’ is very useful for the FLO as they can gain some insight, instead of simply seeing the items ‘cold’ for the very first time. This also speeds up the identification process, which is essential when four finders are waiting to be seen.
CHAC staff also accept archaeological material for identification when the Somerset FLO is not actually present to send on to Taunton for identification. However, in this case, the FLO is due to be in Yeovil shortly and the enquirer aims to meet them in person on this occasion.
During the conversation, staff discovered that the enquirer was related to the owner of the propeller-driven car and even had some additional photographs of the car in action and interestingly, not so active!
The 2018 Celebrating Yeovil Calendar is now available at £6.00 each from Yeovil Tourist Information Centre, Petters Way; The Emporium, Princes Street and ourselves at the Community Heritage Access Centre, (01935) 462886.
The original of this postcard is labelled “Preston Plucknett around 1925″ but can anyone tell us which direction the photographer was facing?